Today wasn't a massive day but enough to make it worth getting out of the house and eyeing a rather nice gust front from Boonah to Brisbane.

There were two main cells toward the S over the border ranges and I went for the one inland. The next two shots are to the SE and SW, respectively:

1200x800 1200x800

I headed to Boonah and actually kept going S about 10kms but ended up too close to it. The constant rumbling thunder was nice but the road network is virtually non-existent around the ranges, so I pulled back to Boonah and watched the storm approach.

1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x551

It was heading NE over Boonah and would soon block my only road to Beaudesert so I took off. I got caught a couple of times, as you'll see in the video below, but I made it to Beaudesert in time to watch the front develop.

1200x800 1200x537

The two discrete cells were merging into one system as it tracked NE towards Cedar Grove.

1200x800 1200x536 1200x800 1200x800

A good omen near Jimboomba:


I continued N up the Mt Lindsay Hwy and stopped again near Greenbank where this thing showed no signs of slowing.

1200x800 1200x501

The NE edge was definitely devloping more and I considered shooting straight N with a view to head roughly towards Marburg, then maybe Esk, depending on what the storm did. Then I thought about the roads up that way decided against it. Even though that area gets some great storms, you're bashing your head against a brick wall trying to find decent views. So I continued N and stopped again at Larapinta, near the Logan Mwy.

1200x431 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800 1200x800

There was definite greenage during much of the storm's life, which often indicates hail. Lightning wasn't quite so prevelant but it did seem to pick up for a few minutes at this spot, so I shot some video and combined the lightning frames together:

1200x675 1200x800

I also considered heading up the Gateway to watch the storm head out over the water near the airport or Redcliffe, but it was weakening at this point so I headed home instead, catching some mammatus on the way.


The afternoon rain was lovely after I got home, as was not having to drive hundreds of kilometres to get there :)

Here's some video of the chase: